Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sauteed chicken and veggies


Hello everyone! I hope you had a great Sunday because I know I did. I went to one of my favorite group exercise classes - Body Pump. It's a full body barbell workout that improves strength and transforms your body by focusing on low weight loads with high repetitions (you can use more weight if you choose). After my hard workout, I stopped by the grocery store and grabbed some Chicken Tenderloins by Harvestland and fresh green beans. These tenderloins were some of the best I've ever had. My sister introduced me to the skinless chicken breasts by this brand, but today I discovered these bad boys and decided I wanted more of a chicken strip than a whole breast. SO good!
Ingredients
  • 1 package of chicken breast tenderloins
  • 1 TBSP of low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 TSP chili powder
  • !/2 TSP garlic powder
  • 1/4 TSP ground cumin
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 TSP Safflower oil (or any oil you have on hand)
  • Fresh green beans, amount depends on how much you want
  • Large ziploc bag
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Any veggies you would like to saute

1. For the chicken, I rinsed each tenderloin and cut off any excess fat, which was very simple since it's already super lean. I sat them aside and then got a large ziploc bag.
2. In the ziploc bag, I put 1 TBSP of low sodium soy sauce (I used Kikkoman's), 1/2 TSP of chili powder, 1/4 TSP of ground cumin, 1/2 TSP of garlic powder and tossed chicken in the bag to help coat each piece. You can adjust each ingredient to your own taste.
3. Set a skillet on medium heat with 1 TSP of Safflower oil (or you could use any oil you have on hand), then sprinkle a little salt over the chicken, to taste.
4. Cook the chicken on each side for about 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. You can also toss in any veggies you like - I tossed in a few mushrooms and sauteed them with the chicken.
5. After chicken is cooked on each side, set on a plate to cool. While your chicken is cooling, prep your fresh green beans to cook in the skillet (I used the same skillet I cooked the chicken in).
6. Set the heat back to medium and put the green beans in the skillet. Then, sprinkle black pepper and garlic powder over the green beans, to taste.
7. After a few minutes, the green beans will start to brown on each side but make sure they are easy to poke with a fork before you turn off the heat. This should take a little over 5 minutes.

This meal is very simple and delicious. The chicken is perfect and reminds me of a teriyaki dish. Plenty of protein to satisfy your body after a hard workout. You can even pop a small sweet potato in the microwave to get a good source of carbohydrates or boil some brown rice to mix with the chicken and veggies. Here is the finished product. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment