Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Bison (Buffalo) Burrito

I recently ordered Grass-fed Bison from Tropical Traditions because they were offering 40% off, and I have been interested in trying it so I just couldn't help myself. Bison is much healthier for you in terms of lean meat. It has 2 grams of fat per 4 ounces as opposed to other lean ground beef, which has about 10 grams of fat. Bison is also much sweeter tasting and cooks differently than ground meat. However, if you put it in a skillet, it cooks the same way except you don't need to drain the fat because it's so lean. Tonight, I decided to whip up something involving ground bison. I had NO idea what to do so I started by sauteing diced onion, sliced green bell pepper, and diced mushroom, and the rest is history. Here's the ingredients list!

  • 1 lb ground bison
  • 1 small diced yellow onion
  • 1 green bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 cup mushrooms, diced
  • 1 tsp safflower oil
  • Half can of 14.5 oz diced tomatoes 
  • Half can of 19.5 oz black beans
  • 1 TBSP garlic powder
  • Dash of pumpkin pie spice
  • Dash of cinnamon
  • Half an avocado (optional)
  • Sour cream (optional)
  • Shredded cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup for each tortilla
  • 4 tortillas
1. Heat 1 tsp safflower oil in a large saucepan. Saute onion, bell pepper, and mushroom until soft. 
2. Heat bison in a saucepan until it starts to brown. Once the majority of the meat starts to brown, add the sauteed veggies to the skillet of bison.
3. Mix together with black beans, tomatoes, garlic powder, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Cook until meat is browned. I'm not exactly sure on the timing but if it's brown and no longer red, you're good to go.
4. Heat the 4 tortillas in the oven at 350 for about 5-7 minutes. This part is optional but I think it's worth it.
5. Spread a TBSP of the avocado on 1 tortilla, then add the bison mixture down the middle of the burrito, top with cheese and sour cream if desired, then roll into a burrito. Enjoy!

I cooked these for my mom, dad, boyfriend, and myself. I must say I was very pleased with the results and will definitely be making this again! You can play around with this recipe as much as you want based on your taste, but you will be happy with whatever you decide. 

:)



No comments:

Post a Comment